Myths and facts about dogs

Discover the truth about your dog:

  • Sweets do not cause parasitic infections in dogs. However, eating food with parasite’s eggs may result in worm appearing in the digestive system. Sweets themselves contribute to obesity, while dog’s demand for sugar is small.
  • Dogs’ sense of smell is much stronger than the sense of taste. That is why dog does not mind whether food is fatty or not. It should be aromatic.
  • A dog is not in danger of putting on weight provided you follow a proper, fully balanced diet, suiting dog’s age and you make sure the dog are active enough. Even if it has been castrated.
  • Your dog will instinctively hide illness. If it lived in the wild, showing weakness would change it into a victim. However, you must watch the dog carefully and all the changes in its behaviour, which may unfortunately signalise developing illness.
  • Temperature of a nose does not reveal dog’s health or illness. Nose’s moistness is only one indicator of health state. However, too cold and too dry nose does not show that your four-legged friend’s condition is very good.
  • Dog’s saliva has an antibacterial property and helps in wound healing. Yet, you should remember that a dog will not content itself with a few licks. The longer it does so, the deeper the wound becomes and more difficult toheal it is.
  • Eating grass is a natural behaviour of healthy dogs. Dogs may just like the taste of grass. It is also possible that a dog eats grass and then throws up. In this way it copes with what has irritated its digestive system.
  • Origins of a superstition that a bitch should have puppies at least once have originated from. There is no scientific proof that pregnancy influences bitch’s health positively.
  • It has been proved that sterilisation may negatively influence dog’s health and increase the risk of certain cancers. Sterilizing does not disturb bitch’s mentality. A bitch acts instinctively, it does not know it can have puppies, its maternity instinct appears only in the last weeks of pregnancy.
  • Dogs of small breeds live longer and get old slower than dogs of large breeds. With years nutritional and nursing requirements as well as intensiveness of plays or physical activities change. It is easier to establish dog’s age and condition if you translate dog’s age into human years. Then you should assume that the first year of dog’s life is 14 human years. The second year of dog’s life is 7 years of human’s life. It means that a 2-year-old dog is like a 21-year-old human. Each following year of dog’s life is like 5 human years.
  • Dogs have no sense of time. A dog is not aware of anything like past or future. What a dog knows is only NOW. What is out of NOW is incomprehensive and unobtainable. Yet, independently of time and space, dog’s brain records everything.
  • Do you know that adult dog’s behaviour is conditioned in as much as 80% by external factors, especially in the period of 3–12 months of life? Remaining 20% of dog’s behaviour is conditioned genetically.
  • When a longing dog sees its owner after a longer parting, chemical substances reaching its brain resemble those which appear in human brain when they fall in love.

Dog’s “fingerprints” are found on the nose. A dog’s nose is as unique as a human fingerprint. Thanks to the nose print it is possible to identify a particular dog.

back >